The 2021 International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society (IWGS) once again held its New Waterlily Competition at Naples Botanical Garden in Naples, Florida. This year, we expanded our maximum number of entries from 25 to 30, allowing more hybridizers from around the world the opportunity to submit their best new waterlilies for evaluation.
The IWGS has held this competition almost every year since 1997 to provide hybridizers an avenue to showcase their creations and innovations while offering them essential feedback (e.g., what traits are desirable to growers and enthusiasts) following evaluation by an expert panel of international judges.
Among the judges were professional waterlily growers from botanic gardens and plant nurseries, as well as hybridizers and experienced hobbyists.
The 2021 judges were Andre Leu (Regeneration International, Australia); Chris Song (South Korea); CuiWei Yu (Zhejiang Humanities Landscape Co Ltd, China); Dario Javier Baumgratz (Aeranthos nursery, Argentina); Dave Brigante (Hughes Water Gardens, USA); Farley See (Moore Water Gardens, Canada); Iain MacGregor (Water Garden Life, Australia) James Allison (Aquapic, UK); James Bennett (Bennett’s Water Gardens, UK); Jon Sander (Glenstone Museum, USA); Longqing Chen (Lotus Branch of China Flower Association, China); Marc Hachadourian (New York Botanic Garden, USA); Rolf Nelson (Nelson Water Gardens, USA); Stevens Bernard (Les Jardin d’Eau de Carzac, France); Tim Jennings (Longwood Gardens, USA); Tomas Escribano (Spain); Vicki Mills Aber (Colorado Water Gardening Society, USA)
After much deliberation, the judges announced the winners of the 2021 IWGS New Waterlily Competition:
2021 Overall Best New Waterlily
Nymphaea ‘Purple Zebra’ – By Pornchai Sukkasemsamranjit (Thailand)
2021 Best New Hardy Waterlily
- 1st place: Nymphaea ‘Painted Pom Pom’ by Tony Moore (USA)
- 2nd place: Nymphaea ‘Gabriel’s Delight’ by Timo Gabriel (Germany)
- 3rd place: Nymphaea ‘Sweet Angel’ by Potjanee Thongbai (Thailand)
2021 Best New Tropical Daybloomer
- 1st place: Nymphaea ‘Foi Thong’ by Korakott Pumpetch (Thailand)
- 2nd place: Nymphaea ‘Purple Passion’ by Florida Aquatic Nurseries (USA)
- 3rd place: Nymphaea ‘Sasimontron’ by Arun Kobkaew (Thailand)
2021 Best New Hardy ISG
- 1st place: Nymphaea ‘Purple Zebra’ by Pornchai Sukkasemsamranjit (Thailand)
- 2nd place: Nymphaea ‘Siam Magnolia’ by Pairat Songpanich (Thailand)
- 3rd place: Nymphaea ‘Dark Valia’ by Andreas Protopapas (Cyprus)
2021 Best New Tropical ISG
- 1st place: Nymphaea ‘Ravissada’ by Kanyaporn Inngam (Thailand)
- 2nd place: Nymphaea ‘Pimpapaan’ by Nopchai Chansilpa (Thailand)
- 3rd place: Nymphaea ‘Sunny Doll’ by Neng Xiang You (Taiwan)
2021 Best New Tropical Nightbloomer
- 1st place: Nymphaea ‘Tubtimchon’ by Rajamangala Institute (Thailand)
- 2nd place: Nymphaea ‘Aonubon’ by Pang U Bon Waterlily Garden (Thailand)
- 3rd place: Nymphaea ‘Bancharak’ by Bancha Futrakun (Thailand)
We would like to thank all the hybridizers for offering their creations for evaluation. We also offer our gratitude to the judges who volunteered their time to examine these hybrids and had to make many tough decisions. Thanks also goes out to those who made donations to the IWGS in support of the competition, the IWGS board members and New Waterlily Competition committee members for their contributions and support.
We wish to extend our gratitude to Naples Botanical Garden for generously providing growing space. A special heartfelt thanks goes out to Kathy Cahill and Danny Cox for all their hard work in hosting this year’s competition.
The IWGS New Waterlily Competition Committee members will now commence work on the 2022 New Waterlily Competition — the 25th anniversary of the New Waterlily Competition. We will celebrate this milestone at the 2022 IWGS Symposium, which will be held at Naples Botanical Garden.