Constructing Your 2014 Business Calendar

Published on January 1, 2014

Calendar_4 Although I call myself a “pond builder,” the truth is, I’m actually a businessman. I run a business first and a pond company second! And in my experience, I’ve found that running a successful business is 80 percent attitude and 20 percent business model. But you have to have the right 20 percent, or there will be nothing to have a great attitude about!

The calendar model we have created is designed to help you strengthen that 20 percent. It is easily repeatable; in fact, we repeat it year after year. It yields great, consistent results year in and year out. We have never had a down year. Never!

In this model, the year is broken down into six periods:
1. Marketing

2. Spring Cleaning

3. Summer Building

4. Fall Maintenance

5. Winter Building

6. Business Improvement


The model flows with the calendar and the weather. We are in Maryland, so your business model may be slightly different, but the theory remains the same: do the right work for the season of the year that you’re in.

At Premier Ponds, we don’t bounce from one focus to the next and back again. I recommend you do the same. You will lose efficiency if you’re trying to do multiple things at once. Loading the trucks for cleaning is vastly different than loading for building, for example. Thus, we follow each segment in order.

Every month brings something different that is designed to keep us on the right path to success through efficiency. We stay disciplined and consistent.

This is “nuts and bolts stuff,” not rocket science. It has worked every year since I founded the company. It will work for you, too — but you have to take action and do it!

Now that you have your 20 percent business model in place, you can tackle the other 80 percent. For us, the “80 percent attitude” part of the equation is this: We believe we are the “Nordstrom” of the pond business. We deliver a first-class product and charge accordingly. If you are also a “Nordstrom” company, then don’t charge “Kmart” prices. Charge what you are worth!

When you combine the “Nordstrom” attitude with a sound, proven business model, you have a “100 percent” strategy that will produce amazing results. Stick to this plan and you’ll find yourself healthy, wealthy and wise!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Articles

Design Ideas | A Creek-Style Waterscape with Koi

https://www.reddit.com/r/ponds/comments/pppd8e/my_small_creek_style_planter_pond_not_as_big_most/ This is a unique design from a professional contractor that emphasizes a ...

Blue Thumb Introduces the Heiho Fountain

The Heiho basalt fountain provides a simple way to add interest to your ...

Creating Water Gardens and Ponds in Kansas City

This one-of-a-kind very unique property feels like a high-end resort on an exotic ...

Big and Bold Website Redesign from Pond Trade

This kid is pointing to his favorite backyard pond, but also loves our ...

Contractor's Corner

Sponsored by Pondliner

Scroll to Top