There’s gold in them there tanks!!! If you are not carrying goldfish along with your other livestock, you may be missing the opportunity for some additional sales.
I have a question for you. Would you rather have a twenty-dollar bill from a gold fish sale, or a twenty dollar bill from a koi or water plant sale? My opinion is that twenty bucks is twenty bucks! I’ll take it where I can get it!!
Goldfish are commonly the start of a hobby for many, many pond owners. How many times have you heard “I started with 10 goldfish from the pet store years ago.” (Believe it or not that was the start to my career in this business!)
There are many reasons to carry goldfish in your aquatic department.
• They are a lower price point item with a very good margin.
• They are very hardy and easy to keep in a small/inexpensive holding system
• They adapt well to most environments from rain barrels (another starter water garden item) to large koi ponds.
• They will not outgrow most containers 25 gallons or bigger and allow people to keep them without the fear of needing to buy/build a larger pond.
• They can be brought inside in an aquarium and enjoyed all winter long.
• They can be the start to a great relationship with a long-term customer.
In the next issue of POND Trade magazine, we will be looking at the different breeds of goldfish available and offering insight as to what varieties are the best to carry. We will also talk about current trends and those “bridge” varieties that even the seasoned koi professional like to keep. Goldfish will help your business succeed. POND Trade will show you how!
Until next issue….